Sunday, January 27, 2008

My little thumb sucker

So J.J. has taken a big liking to her thumb. It is so cute because they are these cute little stubby thumbs but I know I will hate it if she is doing it when she is a lot older. So, my question is, if I let her do it now, will she get into the habit or is she just chewing on her fingers because she is just teething? I know she is probably teething. I'm just wondering if she will continue to do it. Makenna loved her binky but that didn't do anything to her teeth and I was able to take it away. With the thumb, they can push their teeth out and you can't take their thumb away. Anyway, has anyone had a thumb sucker at this age but not have problems with it when they got a little older?



These pics are just too cute.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

She is beautiful!! Chloe sucked her 2 middle fingers from about 3 months until she turned 4. She stopped because she shut her fingers in a dresser drawer and it hurt to suck on them. Other than that, I really don't know. I guess there are kids who are extreme with it, but I would think that it would be more of a baby thing and the need to suck on something alot. Who knows??? It's sure is cute though!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

What a cutie!!
That is just too adorable..but I don't know much about thumbs...my babies love their binkies!

Jess said...

She is so cute! I remember Katelyn sucking on her thumb and fingers about that age and she would not take a binky then. I was a little worried about having a thumb sucker but she stopped after a couple of weeks. Then she finally started taking the binky and is attached to that now. Does she still like her binky? Does she suck on it to soothe herself or just when she is awake and playing? I don't know what I am talking about, but maybe if she is just doing it when she is awake it just feels good on her gums.

Tabatha & Michael Stimpson said...

Hey Krista!!!
It's Tab here...and by the way, you have ADORABLE girls!! Congrats!!
on to the thumb sucker---I have one..and she's almost 8!!!
If I had known better I would of put a stop to it...right away. And YES...it was soooo cute when she was a baby, she wouldn't take a binkie at all, she would cry and comfort herself by suckin her thumb and hey..it helped me out cause I didn't have to 'tend to her constantly to find a binkie if it fell out or whatever the case may be. So it's kinda of a catch 22...its a good thing but then it turns into something not so good. She's doing better and doesn't do it much but at bed time. And also when babies suck their middle fingers they tend to quit the habbit very early and quicker than those that suck their thumb AND it doesn't ruin the teeth like the thumb does. Sooo...I hoped this helped ya out. Cute blog by the way!!!

Krista said...

Hey, thanks Tabatha. I'm glad that you hopped on and commented. Thanks for the info guys. She does only do it when she is awake and I use the binky to soothe her sometimes to sleep. So, I'm hoping that it is just to chomp on for her gums. I think I will just take it out if she starts to use it to put herself to sleep. But thankfully she hasn't done that yet. She is such a good baby. I don't even have to use the binky very often either. But Makenna wasn't that interested in her binky when she was a baby and we know how that turned out;)

Dendy said...

I finally have my computer back. Talk about cute girls! can they get any cuter. I have to comment about a previous blog. Papa and I love to have you guys come shopping and going to lunch with us every Friday. Kenna has to have her horsey ride after. We made the mistake of going to a store that didn't have one and she tried to convince her papa to go to another store to find one. I am still surprised he didn't

NancyM said...

I know you and I have talked about 'thumb suckers' before (Travis was one; also Stacy) so I don't have much more to add....however, I do think J. J. will outgrow it soon since she is so young...probably still exploring her little body and trying to figure out how it all works so will do what comforts her. I wouldn't worry about it just yet...She is so adorable!!