Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 1 Kirtland/Niagara Falls

We flew into Cleveland (nonstop flight;) and the girls were awesome on the plane. J.J. was crazy in the terminal but she was really good on the flight. The plane was full so I just sat with my parents and she moved between all of us. She especially loved sitting on Papa's lap when we were taking off and landing. Makenna just loves flying. She sat across from us with Daddy and an older lady sat next to her. She talked her ears off and the lady was so nice and talked with her. I had to thank her when we got off. It was so funny. Makenna also said her tummy tickled when we were taking off and landing. So cute. We drove to Kirtland the next morning and started off at the quarry where they got the stone for the temple. We ended up going the wrong way which was a very long hike but it was pretty.
Here are my girls getting along on our hike.

We finally got to the quarry. You can see the grooves where they cut out the stone.

The sign said that leashes were 'required'!!! LOL!


We then headed to the LDS visitors center where we got to see a few sites that we own including the Newel K. Whitney store! We had to watch a video and Jordyn was not very good while we waited. Not a good sign. And of course they wouldn't just let us go see the stuff without the video!

The school of prophets inside the store where many things occurred.

Joseph and Emma's room.

We then headed over to the temple which the Church of Christ now owns. Of course there was another video we had to watch and this one was weird because they were saying that all the early converts were from their church. I beg to differ. We couldn't take pics inside the temple but it was soooo neat!!! But you don't really feel the spirit. It's sad since so many spiritual things happened there. It's too bad that the other church owns it.
Original windows


Grave site marker for the Joseph and Emma's twins that died when they first arrived in Kirtland.

After we visited the temple, we got on the road and headed towards Niagara Falls. It truly is amazing to see in person. The power of the falls is incredible.


Boy was I a nervous mother hen when my kiddos got too close to the water. There was one spot where it is just a huge drop from the fence. Scary!! But oh so beautiful!! My mom said it was payback because I did that with her and the Grand Canyon;)


After we walked all around the Falls, we got back in the car and drove another hour and forty minutes to Palmyra. We were already so thankful that we had our GPS system with us. It was a huge lifesaver especially when we were driving at night and all the signs are so small and hidden by trees. It was great!! Day one was packed with traveling but then we got to slow down and spend the next two days in Palmyra!!

6 comments:

Dendy said...

I thought it was interesting in the school of Prophets. The Man who gave Joseph and Emma his twins when hers died and his wife died, he saw and described how Jesus looked. He said he had silvery hair and beautiful blue eyes. It was really cool to be there. The Newel Whitney store is the one church site that is real. So You are actually in the exact rooms that the Prophet walked in. The exact room where Jesus appeared. It was awesome!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

OH MY GOSH, GIRLFRIEND!!!! Seriously. I hope you know how lucky you are to have gone on this trip. This stuff is just FLIPPING AMAZING!!

OH MY GOSH.

OH MY GOSH.

Ok, I'll stop...but seriously, I see this stuff and I think "I hope the second coming doesnt come before I can do a church history tour!!" hahaha!!

Krista said...

Oh, I know how lucky I have been to be able to see these things. I have always wanted to go....thanks to my parents!!
Sarah, your extended family lives next to Illinois! You should go to Nauvoo next time you are in that area. It is so worth it. Make it a reunion or something.

Sarah said...

What a fun beginning to your trip!! My dad and I went to Kirtland together as a special trip after I graduated from High School. It was amazing!!!

jenorme said...

Keep these posts coming! I haven't been and hope to go sometime soon, but your posts are making me more antsy to go! I don't know if I have the patience to take Avery though. Kudos to you!

jenorme said...

Keep these posts coming! I haven't been and hope to go sometime soon, but your posts are making me more antsy to go! I don't know if I have the patience to take Avery though. Kudos to you!